Wednesday, October 15, 2008

There are bugs in paradise?!

So although Hawaii is extremely beautiful and happy, it does have a few creatures that make me nervous. Cockroaches and centipedes...and cane spiders (which I gratefully haven't encountered yet, but that encounter will probably be the funniest to tell) ...yuck!!

Anyway, so I've had several encounters with these other two creatures. The first encounter I had with a cockroach is probably the worst. It actually crawled into my hair dryer and got caught!! I didn't realize it was in there until parts of it started blowing out at me while I was drying my hair one day! Ha ha, gross!! This one experience haunts me every time I turn on my hair dryer, 'cause it's still in there, just really toasty...I wonder if it's still alive; I've heard they never die. :D There was also another cockroach crawling on our wall and then in the bathroom in my roommate's makeup bag. I screamed and ran away! Then, one day, my roommate, Calli, was pulling out a pan from the cupboard and she found a huge cockroach halfway melted/fused onto the pan!! How it melted, we have no idea!! It was nasty!!! I really should've taken a picture of it, but we threw out the pan and bought a new one. So far, that's it for cockroaches.

We also saw a centipede outside our house and tried to kill it with a broom and then a bucket. We thought we had killed it, but it was still twitching. So we trapped it under the bucket. It was pretty big and really gross looking!

I suppose it's important that Hawaii have creatures like these because we're not supposed to experience total paradise here on earth. Heaven wouldn't be as good if we didn't have to experience these nasty things!! Before I came out here, I read on the internet about all these things and read several horror stories. I was pretty scared when I first came out here because of that and was scared to open doors, drawers, or closets. It really isn't that bad. You just deal with them as they come. Ew, I just hate crawly things!!

2 comments:

Robin said...

When we were on our honeymoon in Hawaii I was freaking out about a gecko on our wall. But then Dennison told me that he was there to eat bugs... then he was my friend:) Good luck with the bugs!

saraines said...

in you blow drier!!!! ?? that is crazy!!!! :S

I dont like having that in the house.